Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Insurance Battle

Anybody who knows me knows I am pretty persistent.  I usually don't let things go for very long without follow-up, it's just who I am.  So, today, I contacted my surgeon's office to see what progress was made on the submission of my file to XYZ Insurance Company (the name's have been changed to protect the guilty).  The response I received was less than optimal...

"Hi, this is Chris Nicosia and I was calling to check on the status of my insurance approval."  "Ok, let me transfer you to L. (name deleted to protect the innocent)...she was working on that for you."

"Thank you." 

"Hi Chris, this is L.  We ran into a bit of a problem.  When I called XYZ Insurance Company, they said that Dr. G (surgeon's name deleted to protect the innocent) was not an approved provider.  I told the guy I spoke to that he needed to check is computer again or look at a different screen because I submit these every day and I work with XYZ Insurance Company every day and never have a problem."

Insurance rep: "Well, I'm sorry, but he is not on the list, so your claim has been rejected."

L: "Don't worry, Chris.  This was not the case and I know that XYZ Insurance accepts Dr. Garrison.  I forwarded this over to M. (name omitted to protect the innocent) who deals with insurance issues.  Let me call over there and see what progress she has made to straightening out that darn insurance company and I'll call you back."

Me:  "Thanks, L.  I'll talk to you shortly."

A few minutes later, she called me back.  L: "Ok, I spoke to M. and she said it was a simple problem...the guy who I talked to apparently didn't scroll to the third page...which coincidentally is where all the updated information is posted in their system.  Of course they found Dr. Garrison.  She told me to just inform whoever I speak to when I call back that he is on the 3rd page of their system and it will not be a problem.  Since I have your file in front of me and we are talking about it, let me call over there right now and I'll call you right back."

Me:  "You have got to love these darling insurance companies.  Thank you for your help, I'll talk to you soon."

A few more minutes go by, I start writing this blog and post on Facebook that I hate insurance companies.  As I start typing this up, L. calls me back.

L: "Ok, everything is submitted...it is in their system and hopefully we will know something by Friday.  Feel free to give me a call back on Friday, don't think you will be buggin' me or anything...we'll talk then and see what is going on."

Me:  "Thanks so much for all your help.  Dr. G. said everything submitted by all my doctors was sufficient and he signed off on it?"

L:  "Yes, he reivewed it and said it was ready for submission, so it is good to go."

Me:  "Thanks again, I'll speak to you Friday."

I give a transcript because it takes all of this extra work because  somebody at the insurance company doesn't know how to properly search for a provider in their computer system.  This same person is informing policy holders every day who they can and cannot see for treatment.  My frustration level goes up every time I have to interact with them.  Thank goodness for my surgeon's team in his office...they take some of the stress off me.

Ok, so it is submitted.  I may be able to get a surgery date as early as Friday when I call L. back.  I am really pushing for the Thursday before Good Friday...we can hope, right? 

Oh, and I am so happy because I broke the 300 lbs. barrier yesterday...I was 297.5...the lowest I have been in about 6 years.  So, it was a good day...I am having a good day again.  Talk to you all Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment