Friday, April 30, 2010

2 Weeks Post-Op and Feeling Great!

Two weeks and two days since my surgery and this past week has been fantastic.  Let me give some highlights.

1.)  On Monday, I met with my surgeon and he took out my staples.  He informed me that I am healing exactly as I should, I have lost 50lbs. total since I started the whole thing and except for the little "incident" last week, I am the model patient and he asked me to come talk at his seminars.

2.)  In addition, he told me to progress "as I am comfortable" to real food.  I am taking that slow, but last night I had real chicken and broccoli with cheese for dinner.  Very excited about that. 

3.)  I started walking this week...I walk with my puppy and with my wife, so I actually and taking two walks a day.  I feel great and find that I am walking with a little more "pep in my step".  I guess being 50lbs. lighter will do that.

4.)  I am feeling great as far as the surgery itself.  I can move pretty freely now without any pain.  Bending over is not a problem any more and the only time I am a little uncomfortable is if I roll over weird in bed...sometimes it causes a little pulling (I still have a belly).  Other than that, I can sleep on my stomach again, so sleeping is becoming a much more comfortable situation.  Of course, my puppy sleeps between my wife and I, so the bed is getting a little crowded.  She even shares pillows now...funny, yet sad all at the same time.  I move her when she is dead asleep and she somehow works her way back up to our pillows. 

So, life is returning back to normal.  Since having major abdominal surgery, the recovery period has been progressing quickly.  I have already been to two rehearsals in NYC for a group I am singing with and have been able to sing without any major problems.  My breathing is still not perfect, but it's not horrible either.  The whole recovery process is going much quicker than I anticipated.  I have to be careful though, as I know I will push myself too far if I don't feel any pain to slow me down.  I am trying to watch myself and not over do it...

It has been a great journey so far.  As of today, according to my Wii, I weigh:  278.5.  I started at 330.  Not too shabby.  I have 94.5 lbs. left to reach my goal.  I have lost 51.5 lbs. since January 2010.  I have lost 26.5lbs. since the surgery on 4/14/10.  Happy happy joy joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment