Saturday, April 24, 2010

Big Scare for a Small Problem

This past Wednesday was the one week anniversary post-op, as most of you know.  Well, per the doctors orders, I was permitted to take a shower and trust me - I was going to enjoy it.

So, I took off the large bandage that was placed over the drain site, which was now safe for open exposure and showers, I got in and started to wash up.

Well, about 3/4 of the way through my shower, I started to feel a little dizzy.  Then, my head started to feel like it was being crushed in a vice.  About 5 seconds after that started, it started to get very white.  I called for my wife and just as she came into the bathroom, I collapsed and passed out, hitting the back of my head on the tub.

After about 15 seconds, I started to come to, my wife screaming.  I was very nauseous and weak.  I started to regain my strength and after my wife finished rinsing me off (I still had soap all over), with her help, I got out of the tub and sat on the toilet.  I started to dry off and all the sudden, the process started over again.  I told my wife to call 911 and I nearly passed out again, though my wife was there to catch me that time.  The 911 operator told her to help me to the ground and to lay on my side.  Within minutes, police, EMT and Paramedics were at my house. 

So, besides the fact that I was completely naked with half of Barnegat looking on (my wife provided me with a towel to cover up), my blood pressure was low. 

Off to the ER I went.  When I got there and after being stuck 4 times by a nurse who definitely needs to take a refresher course in phlebotomy, they took blood and x-rays.  It turns out I had what's called a "Vagal Response".  I was on the same dose of blood pressure medication as I was when I was 330lbs, only now I am 280, I had surgery only a week ago and I took a warm shower.  The vaso-dilator along with the warm water (also dilates veins) caused my blood pressure to fall rapidly, causing my body to trigger this response...it forces the body into a horizontal position to save the brain from lack of blood due the drop in blood pressure.

So, after receiving a full liter of saline, I was tested and released.  I am now no longer on blood pressure meds and hopefully this won't happen again.  I truly thought I was having a stroke and even had my wife ask me questions and go through the standard stroke response to ensure I didn't have one.  It was extremely scary, but turned out to be a minor thing. 

Luckily, when I passed out, I fell in such a way that didn't rip out any stitches or staples and because we have a soft fiberglass tub, it gave enough when I hit it that I didn't have a concussion.  Luck all around...thank God.

So, I am down 50 lbs. since I started this exciting journey and I am just getting started.  Keep me in your prayers and I'll be back soon to provide more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment