Sunday, April 11, 2010

36 Hours to Surgery - The Countdown Has Started

When I started this journey back in September 2009, I thought it would take forever to get to this point.  When I found out that it would take six (6) months of pre-surgical testing, dieting, exercise, insurance approvals, etc. etc. etc., then actually scheduling the surgery...I figured it would be forever before I actually saw the operating room.  Well, it has now been eight (8) months and here I am...36 hours before surgery and I am running around completing last minute errands.  All the planning, waiting and anticipation is nearly over...

So today, Nicole and I went shopping.  I started my liquid diet today so that my liver would shrink before my surgery.  This apparently helps the surgeon when he gets in there.  So, soups, broths, pudding, jell-o, whipped cottage cheese and protein shakes.  On Tuesday, it's clear liquids only until midnight, then nada.

After the surgery, I will be on a clear liquid diet for at least a week.  Once the doctor approves it, I will transition to a full liquid diet, which includes dairy and anything that can be diluted enough to fit through a funnel (warm cereals like Cream of Wheat, etc.).  I'll be on that for a few weeks.

So, today we bought all sorts of drinks, pudding, yogurt, broth, etc.  Our fridge now looks like a drink cooler at the local convenience store.  No solid foods, just yogurt, cottage cheese and all sorts of drinks.  Oh yeah, and ricotta cheese.

So, the whole thing is for real.  On Wednesday, I will arrive at the hospital, get prepped and then in I will go.  Laproscopic surgery, so I will not be cut open, but instead have a few holes.  The surgery takes about 1hr 15min and that's it.  The new life begins.

Support has been great...my family and friends have been supporting me the whole way.  All that support got me here and will keep me going after the surgery.  Everybody has been asking me, "Are you scared?" and my answer has been, "No...excited as hell!".  That is the truth - I can't wait to begin this chapter of my life where  I can take control of my life and do the things I have always wanted to do...like become a police officer.  I have very clearly defined goals.  I will be able to run 5 miles.  I will qualify and become a NJ State Trooper (if the State doesn't fire everybody first), I will be in fantastic shape and have the body I have always wanted.  I will live a healthier life and enjoy time with my children (when we have them next summer, hopefully).  So, this is such a monumental step for me.

I will have my wife's phone while I am in the hospital, so I will be able to blog...I'll be able to give you real-time updates of how I feel, what is going on and my overall impressions of how it goes.  This is going to be great!

Stay tuned, I'm just getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment